V isioneering is the process of building a creative vision from the initial spark of an idea, to it’s fully realized completion. It’s at the heart of every business, craft, or endeavor that humanity engages in, and provides a thrilling magnetic framework that inspires VC’s, execs, co-workers, or supporters to help us transform our ‘Big Picture’ into ‘Big Reality.’
“To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.”
The Intuitive Art of Creative Resonance
Before I started writing this post, the phrase ‘The Intuitive Art of Creative Resonance,’ created such a buzz in my consciousness that it took me a few minutes to see that this Art is how creativity works through us to transform ideas into reality.
All people, places, things and ideas resonate with our creativity because of our emotional, intellectual and spiritual connection to them. The Art is in how we use our intuition to find and harness the most powerful of these resonances to serve our bliss, and build our passionate creations. I’m a filmmaker, so let me give you an example of how this works in Movies & TV:
- Intuition connects me to ideas that I transform into a script & pitch/project plan
- Then leads me to industry connections who resonate with that script –
- That creative resonance leads to financing and a ‘Green Light’ to start up –
- Then attracts us to creative & crafts team members who resonate with the Script –
- And connects our collaborative intuition, creativity & technical skills to prep, shoot, & edit the show –
- Then our marketeers & distributors intuit the best way to attract an audience –
- And viola,’ the audience uses their intuition to connect with the show, and complete the circle.
The Intuitive Art of Creative Resonance is the core of visioneering; it’s the psychological Rosetta Stone that syncs our past, present and future to the moment, and presents us with a dizzying web of energetic synapses that shows us how creative connectivity works, and how we can use that knowledge to connect and create.
“The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play of instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.”
― C.G. Jung
The Start of Something Big
The business world revolves around lean operations, data mining & process mapping – and the creative world on passionate visions, emotional epiphanies and intuition, so you’d think that making tools to span both worlds would be an impossible task, and you’d be right, if you only see their obvious differences. But there would be no business world without the prime mover of creativity to start and keep the ball rolling, so companies operate at their own peril when they ignore their creative roots in pursuit of the golden mean.
C reativity and commerce go hand in hand in whatever work you do, or craft you pursue, which means you have a natural head for business. Take a moment to think about all the things you do and translate them into a business perspective.
“All commerce runs on human emotion & creativity. The clearer you understand this, the more effective your Visioneering will be, because there is no business without the beautiful feast that is humanity.”
A Tool for every Job
Every visioneer knows that consciousness is the ultimate toolbox, and every tool in it is a proprietary blend of emotional intelligence and intellectual rigor that is based on the clarity of our unique perceptions. These tools allow us to ‘read’ any room; ride the expressive energy that informs our collective understanding of society and culture; and communicate effectively by establishing emotional resonance – the human bond that reflects the “I am he, as you are he, as you are me, and we are all together” that the Beatles reveled in “…Goo goo g’joob!”
“Isn’t everyone a part of everyone else?”
― Budd Schulberg
This is why I tell actors to treat auditions like a jam session, just walk in, open up the energetic flow between you, the character and the room, and just start riffing. I also encourage them to save their ‘thinking’ for later, since great auditions are about intuitively showing off your instrument in a way that inspires the other creatives in the room to connect to you. The same goes for any work you do, because everyone you work with is a Creative, and they’re just waiting for you to inspire a connection, because that is Job #1.
“We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects.”
― Herman Melville
How to be Everything
That’s easy, just Be. No, seriously, you are everything whether you believe it or not. And by ‘You,’ I mean the magnificent representation of human consciousness that fuels all exploration & discovery, tells amazing stories, and is an atomic cocktail of pure energy. When you ‘feel’ your connection to every-thing, you no longer perceive that you are separate from the world, and this simple change in perception will set you free. It doesn’t matter if you don’t see yourself as an Einstein, it doesn’t matter what religion or spiritual path you follow, this is not an airy-fairy pean to fulfilling all your new age desires – it’s the framework of reality, and the ground of being where all bliss resides.
“If you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.”
― Joseph Campbell
The Hero’s Journey
Now that you know you’re Everything, you’re ready to undertake your own unique ‘Hero’s Journey.’ Joseph Campbell was following his bliss when he wrote his groundbreaking masterwork “The Hero with a Thousand Faces,” and he deftly explores the multi-cultural mythologies of ‘The Hero’s Journey’ by illuminating the social, spiritual & religious connections – the path – that all heros must travel to fulfill their destiny. I’ve distilled the peak events of the journey in the chart below; see if you can spot Campbell’s framework in the stories that you love, especially your own.
Each hero’s journey starts with ‘The Call to Adventure;’ a challenge to break out of the narrow confines of their current reality & mindset, so they can find and follow their bliss. Read the book if you need more detail, but the essence of the heroic journey is that it is a conscious path from ignorance to wisdom that teaches us how to ‘Master the Two Worlds,’ the inner & outer, spiritual & psychological, physical & emotional. To master anything, is to know true bliss, and when we finally pass through ‘The Return Threshold’ bearing these precious gifts of creative skill & spirit, everyone benefits.
“Travelers, there is no path, paths are made by walking.”
― Antonio Machado
Now that we have established the ‘what & why’ of visioneering, here are the top seven tools designed to help you make the ‘how’ happen:
1. UP Finder – This is my favorite Mindfulness Tool. Sit comfortably and start breathing deeply, placing your complete attention on the circular flow of breath until all your thought chatter fades. When you feel quiet, calm and centered ask yourself, what is my bliss? Write down everything that comes up, and then pick the one that emotionally resonates the strongest. Now focus on that bliss and ask, show me the path to releasing it. Now jot down the answers and move to tool #2. If nothing comes up, or you hit an emotional block, keep asking, because persistence always overcomes resistance.
2. UP Harvester – Review your UP Finder notes on bliss & release, and start to free associate. Let your consciousness reach out and tap into the UP, and then write down every image, idea, thought, person, place, thing or influence that appears. The idea is to give your creative genius full reign and harvest your impressions quickly, without stopping to focus on any specific one. Once your resource basket is full and you’ve absorbed everything on offer, move to tool #3. Note: This process is ongoing, and runs in the background of your consciousness, so be prepared to receive new input throughout each stage of your build.
3. Vision Builder – Explore every resource that you’ve harvested and feel each one, placing the ones that resonate with your creative genius into categories. I use The Three ‘P’s’ – Product: what you are creating; Process: how you create it, and Presentation: how you get it out into the world, but feel free to create your own, it’s your vision after all. Use your intuition to determine which inputs are the most powerful, and list them from strongest to weakest. Note: the order may change later as you move through the engineering process.
4. Intuitive Communication – This tool is used in tandem with tool #3, because the process of building your dream project depends on how effectively you intuit your needs and passionately communicate them to yourself and others. Intuitive communication is confidence squared, it increases the creative gravity of your vision and magnetically attracts all the resources that you need to make it happen. Hint: If this tool scares you, great. Feel your fear and move through it, because following your bliss is about ‘the bliss,’ not about ‘the your.’
5. Empowered Collaboration – When you build your team, you’re connecting to fellow creatives who see your project as a path to following their own bliss, and be sure to share the power, because empowered collaboration is a tool that uses equality, trust and gratitude to unlock the creative genius in everybody involved.
6. Passion Connector – Review your three ‘P’s’ and internalize them with your team, until you feel ready to Rock – then focus your Passion like the nozzle of a 3-D printer to transform your ideas and resources into prototypes and concrete action plans. Keep in mind that every creation requires fine tuning, so be patient and continue to work on it until you have fully realized your vision.
7. Expanding the Circle – So far your circle is relatively small, with you and your team of visionary collaborators engaged in the final making, now it’s time to power up your expansion tool and send your creation into the world to complete the circle. No project is finished until it reaches everyone who will benefit from it, so ping back through all your tools to help your creation find the best path into the public eye, allowing your blissful intuition and passion to connect you to your fellow beings, until you have reached maximum exposure and fulfilled your dream.
“You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.”
― Alan W. Watts
Famous Last Words
‘Thinking Big’ honors your ‘bigness’ by acknowledging your connection to everything. It’s a core competency of all great visioneers, and requires self discipline, focused intuition & constant practice – the Self discipline to stay present, flow the creativity and master your tools – the focused intuition to bring passion, people & resources together – and constant practice to make the entire process as natural to you as breathing.
“Great art is the outward expression of an inner life in the artist, and this inner life will result in his personal vision of the world.”
― Edward Hopper
I encourage you to mind the gap in your beliefs, to dare to be great, and follow your bliss in whatever way you feel drawn to. This is how we beautify the universal commons. This is how we live lives free of quiet desperation. And this is how we use the Art & Craft of Visioneering to bring more wisdom, joy and love into the world.
“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
Postscript – If this post Resonates with you please share it, because we’re stronger when we help each other’s Creativity Flow.